David's Cemetery was started more than 190 years ago. The cemetery currently consists of 55 acres of historic, attractive, and well-cared for land which is centrally located in the heart of Kettering, Ohio. The cemetery offers diverse, personal and dignified professional services from traditional burials, to mausoleum crypts mausoleum niches, two columbariums and a scattering garden for cremations.
The history and heritage of our community is chronicled not only through the lives of nearly 15,000 citizens buried here, but also through the historic monuments many of which date back over a century to the 1800’s. There are many buried here who were the founders of Kettering and established this area as a viable place to live. For example, Harry Schwab, golfer, Zerbe Bradford, a member of the Deed’s Barn Gang, Dwight L. Barnes, Kettering Superintendent of Schools, Charles Huber, founder/builder of Huber Heights, Ohio, Samuel B. Groby, founder of Groby’s Garden Center, George Walther, industrialist, John P. Kalaman, Centerville policemen, killed in the line of duty, Don Wayne, WHIO TV broadcaster, Robert M. Hedges, Washington Twp. Firefighter, killed in the line of duty, Richard L. Dieckman, founder of Environmental Doctor Company,etc.
In addition to the many prominent, recently buried notables, David’s Cemetery has been a place where many soldiers lay in rest dating back to the War of 1812 through the Persian Gulf. For example, Cpl. Samuel Ewing, War of 1812, Cyrus H. Creager, Civil War, Jacob Darner, Mexican War, Edmund Ensey, Spanish American War, and Leroy Johnson, World War I. Many of our soldiers who fought bravely are buried at David’s Cemetery.
The initial 1½ acres of land, located along Lebanon Pike (now Far Hills) and David Road, was donated by Christian Creager in 1826 as a place of worship and burial. In the early days both the cemetery and the church were owned by David’s Reformed Church. During that time a circuit rider preacher preformed church and burial services. In 1890, the church and cemetery separated. The Cemetery has retained the same name over its 189 year history. Additional land has been purchased over the years to now include 55 acres of burial space.
Being a non-profit corporation and a lot owner’s cemetery, no single person or group owns David’s Cemetery. David’s Cemetery is owned by the nearly 15,000 people who are buried at David’s plus those who own burial rights that haven’t been exercised. These people are the owners of the cemetery. A Board of Trustees is responsible for the operation of the cemetery and governs the association maintaining the perpetual care fund required by the Ohio Revised Code. David’s Cemetery is an active member of the community-- understanding its importance to the history of the area and realizing David’s is and will be the final resting place for many.
David’s is a community cemetery open to all religious faiths. Some of the faiths that are represented at David’s are Buddhist, Catholic, Protestant, Jewish, Hindu, and Muslim.
David’s maintains excellent working relationships with local funeral directors and clergy in the area. Our courteous, helpful staff performs nearly 300 burial services each year and is committed to reducing the stress a death can place on family and friends.